- 1 Best Tactical Tomahawks 2020 –Detailed Reviews
- 1.1 #1 – Walther Fixed Blade Tomahawk
- 1.2 #2 – Kershaw Siege Tomahawk Knife
- 1.3 #3 – CRKT Freyr Axe
- 1.4 #4 – Gerber Downrange Tomahawk
- 1.5 #5 – SOG Tactical Tomahawks
- 1.6 #6 – M48 Tactical Tomahawk
- 1.7 #7 – Smith & Wesson Full Tang Tomahawk
- 1.8 #8 – CRKT Kangee Tomahawk with Sheath
- 1.9 #9 – Tops HAMH-01 Hammer Hawk
- 1.10 #10 – CRKT Woods Chogan Tomahawk Axe
- 1.11 #11 – SOG Tomahawk Pack of 3
- 1.12 #12 – SOG Camp Axe
- 2 Buying Guide
- 3 Conclusion
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Best Tactical Tomahawks 2020 –Detailed Reviews
Below, some of the best tomahawks are reviewed and will help you find the most suitable one for yourself.
Walther Fixed Blade tomahawk is a functional yet stylish Tomahawk made with high-quality material. This tomahawk is made especially for tactical activities like hunting, camping, mountaineering, wood chopping etc.
The Viking style blade offer great versatility which you can use for self-defense as well and for hook and trap activities.
- High-quality construction
- Versatile and function design
- Affordable price range
- Sturdy and firm grip
- Not the most durable Tomahawk available
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: This Walther tomahawk is a great tomahawk for a variety of reasons as it can be used for so many jobs and it does them all perfectly. Moreover the affordable price range makes it a favorable option among the masses.
Kershaw siege Tomahawk knife is a versatile tomahawk with an ultra-sharp blade of multiple size blades. The handle constitutes an attached nail puller; hence the tool can also be used as a pry bar.
The handle does not have a foldable blade; hence it must be stored in a dedicated blade cover and protective case. Additionally, it has a durable and high-quality construction which makes it a value for money deal.
- Multi-functional tomahawk
- 3Cr13 steel handle with black-oxide coating
- Strong and anti-slip grip
- Value for money deal
- Sometimes requires extra sharpening
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: If you’re someone who does a great variety of jobs like cutting a log, executing a search warrant or something else, this tomahawk will do its job with perfection. Kershaw is well-known for making high-quality knifes and blades from a very long time.
#3 – CRKT Freyr Axe
CRKT manufactures a wide range of high-quality tools and weapons and this fryer Axe tool is a high-quality tomahawk axe. The material of the handle of this CRKT Axe is Tennessee Hickory and the blade is made of 1055 carbon steel with magnesium phosphate coating.
This tomahawk offers a wide range of desirable features like durability, versatility, affordability, light-weight and much more.
- Designer wooden finish handle
- Affordable price range
- Lightweight yet durable
- Suitable for light tactical activities
- Not suitable for heavy-duty work
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: This CRKT tomahawk is a perfect alternative for self-defense and light weight tactical activities in a budget-friendly price. It is an easy to use tomahawk with a strong and sturdy handle and grip.
This 3-in-1 tool with axe, hammer and pry-bar is a high-quality 420 HC steel body tomahawk with G-10 composite scales on handle for anti-slip grip.
This tomahawk can be attached to any pack, webbing and body armor as it has a MOLLE compatible sheath.
This is a very effective tomahawk with high durability and versatility as it can be used for a wide range of activities and tasks.
- Exceptionally versatile tool
- Value for money deal
- Contemporary design
- MOLLE compatible sheath
- Might be pricey for some users
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: This 3-in-1 tomahawk comes with axe, hammer and pry-bar which set it apart from the other available options in the market. The MOLLE compatible sheath is surely an added and desirable advantage and thus makes it a very popular alternative among the users.
#5 – SOG Tactical Tomahawks
SOG is one of the best manufacturers of outdoor tools and weapons and this SOG tactical tomahawk is not an exception. The high number of reviews (More than 2000) surely tells a lot about its popularity in the market.
The list of features this tomahawk offers is pretty long as it has a 420-stainless steel blade with glass reinforced nylon handle which provides a sturdy and anti-slip grip. The lifetime warranty guarantees the durability and high-performance of this tomahawk.
- Extremely popular tomahawk
- Affordable and versatile
- Lifetime warranty
- 420 stainless steel blade
- Long enough for a great self-defense option
- Way too simple design
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: This easy to use tomahawk is a durable yet affordable tomahawk which is a rare combination to find. You should definitely try this tomahawk if you want a versatile tool that can help you with tactical activities and self-defense as well.
This M48 tactical tomahawk can be a very powerful defense tool as it can take down someone very easily. The design of this tomahawk is functional yet durable as it has a 3 7/8” stainless steel blade, 8” axe with a nylon reinforced handle for a strong and sturdy grip.
It includes a Nylon sheath which is durable but not a very stylish and functional one.
The craftsmanship of this tomahawk is exceptional and very much desired by many users.
- A very powerful defense tool
- Sharp and effective blade
- Well balanced
- Not a long-lasting tool
- Not to be used on a daily basis
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: This M48 tactical tomahawk is a great tool for tactical activities but don’t expect much from the nylon sheath as it does not provide much help. It is lightweight and easy to use tomahawk in a budget-friendly price.
This Smith and Wesson Tomahawk is a pretty hefty alternative as it weighs 2 pounds 11 ounces.
The blades of this tomahawk are made from 1070 Carbon steel which is durable and reliable. The easy to use polyester sheath is quick to access and very functional in design.
Versatility is the forte of this tomahawk as you can use it for many tactical activities like hiking, self-defense, or wood chopping. The handle is cushioned and designed in such a way that you won’t feel any discomfort while using it apart from lifting some heavy weight. But if you’re someone who works out regularly, you won’t find any problem using it.
The manufacturer offers a limited lifetime warranty which tells a lot about its reliability.
- Durable 1070 Carbon Steel
- Versatile tool
- Very effective performance
- Suitable for heavy duty activities
- Bulkier than other alternatives
- Not the easiest to use
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: This Smith and Wesson tomahawk is one of the most effective yet affordable tomahawks out there. If you are someone, who exercises on a daily basis you will love using this tomahawk.
Another alternative from CRKT is this kangee tomahawk with an ergonomic design equipped with SK5 carbon steel with Spike and glass reinforced handle with anti-slip textured grip.
Coming to its dimensions, it has a wide 2.93” blade with a 13.75” long tool that just weights about 1.5 pounds only.
Boltaron / MOLLE Compatible Sheath to protect the blades from getting stuck anywhere and it also makes it easy to carry the tomahawk along.
- Lightweight and functional
- Sharp enough blade
- Sturdy and anti-slip handle
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Slightly expensive
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: This CRKT kangee tomahawk is a slightly expensive tomahawk which is lightweight, efficient and durable. It has a very contemporary and ergonomic design which makes it easy to use.
Tops HAMH-01 Hammer hawk is a beautifully designed tomahawk equipped with 1075 steel with a handle in wooden finish that offers anti-slip grip and a pretty looking tool on your wall whenever you are not using it for your tactical activities.
This tomahawk will help you with all sorts of camp duties, wood chopping, and other activities. It has the right balance and weight to make your life a lot easier.
- Stylish yet functional design
- Comes with a leather blade cover
- Most suitable for camp duties
- Sharp and effective blade
- Expensive alternative
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: if you’re looking for a premium looking tomahawk that comes with a sharp blade and a hammer. The exceptional features of this tomahawk come at a premium price tag which might make it a less popular option among users.
Another alternative from CRKT is this Woods Chogan tomahawk Axe is a functional yet affordable tomahawk with easy to use design. This tomahawk is an old-school survival tool at its best. The anti-slip Tennessee hickory wood offers a sturdy and strong grip. Coming it its dimensions, it is 19 inches long and weighs about 2 pounds which is light-enough to carry and swing around. The blade is made from 1055 carbon Steel.
- Affordable alternative
- Snug leather sheath (on demand)
- High durability, versatility and reliability
- High-quality construction
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Slightly bulkier
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: This CRKT tomahawk is one of the best tomahawks for heavy-duty tactical activities, all thanks to the well-made sharp blade and hammer head in an affordable price range. If you’re starting to use a tomahawk for your outdoor activities, this will be your best bet.
#11 – SOG Tomahawk Pack of 3
Another great alternative from SOG is this tomahawk pack of 3 in which you get a 3 stainless steel blades in a hawk, axe, and a hatchet. 1.75” blades with a 10.75” full tang construction. The handle of this tomahawk is covered with paracord to provide a sturdy and anti-slip grip.
A durable nylon sheath with belt loop is provided in the package which makes it easy to carry along on camping trips and protects blades very effectively.
- Expertly balanced
- Exceptional performance and durability
- Bestseller in camping tools
- Budget-friendly price
- Paracord layer is not very durable
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: This pack of 3 SOG tactical tomahawk, axe and hatchet set is a value for money deal as you get 3 tools in the price of one. The blade is sharp enough and the handle provides a sturdy and strong grip.
#12 – SOG Camp Axe
Third alternative from SOG in the list of best tactical tomahawks tells a lot about the trustworthiness of the brand. The tool comes with a stainless steel blade, hammer, and a wooden hatchet.
Coming to the dimension, the blades are 3.1” wide and the total length of the tomahawk is about 11.5” and weight only a bit more than a pound. Hence, it is lightweight yet heavy duty in terms of performance and efficiency.
- Pocket-friendly price
- Lightweight yet efficient
- Glass reinforced handle
- Durable Nylon sheath
- Nothing worth mentioning
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: SOG camping axe is a trustworthy tool from a reputed manufacturer and you won’t be disappointed with its performance and efficiency. It is durable, versatile and light on the pocket.
Types of tomahawks Available in the Market
Broadly there are 3 major categories of tomahawks available in the market. All three types are suitable for different set of activities and individuals.
- Breaching tomahawk: These tomahawks are full-tang tomahawk which are generally used by law enforcement officers for executing a search warrant by breaking some doors and windows if need be. They generally have a pry bar feature on the far end of the handle and can be heavier than the tactical tomahawk.
- Tactical tomahawk: Tactical tomahawks are typically used for self-defense and combat activities but people rarely use it on one another. They are also a great alternative for other activities like shelter building and other tactical and outdoor activities. Some users use this type of tomahawk for camping duties like wood cutting, hunting or hiking.
- Throwing tomahawk: These tomahawks are most suitable for competitions. The best part about these tomahawks is that they are well-balanced for a perfect spin and are lightweight enough and are not very suitable for heavy-duty tasks. Tall throwers should opt for a longer tomahawk while throwers with shorter height should opt for a comparatively shorter tomahawk.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Tactical Tomahawk
Before buying a most suitable tactical tomahawk, it is better to understand different aspects related to it and know what to look for in one. The following list will help you to understand different criterions and make an informed decision so that you don’t regret later on.
- Usage: The foremost thing to consider before investing in a tomahawk is assessing the type of activities you intend to do with the tomahawk. Decide whether you want a tomahawk for breaching activities, tactical activities or for competition sports. The usage of the tomahawk consists of frequency and the type of activities to be performed. Some users also use breaching tomahawks for tactical activities and vice versa.
- Sharpness of the Blade: A general belief is that the longer the edge of the blade is the heavier and bigger will be the axe head. You get a much sharper blade in tactical and breaching tomahawks than you get in a throwing tomahawk. If you want to ensure a maximum penetrability of your axe, make sure it has a narrower blade with a wide and large axe head.
- Grip of the Handle: Having a firm grip is as important as getting a sharp blade. Different tomahawks offer different type of coating and textures to offer a sturdy and strong grip. Some tomahawks offer paracord coating, some offer glass reinforced nylon handle and some offer a wooden finish. So you should choose a tactical tomahawk with a sturdy and strong grip of the handle.
- Weight: A common notion is that heavier the tomahawk is, the better will be the penetrability of the blade into the target. But, many users often forget about other aspects regarding weight of the tomahawk. Besides the effectiveness of a tomahawk, you should also consider the fact that you might to carry your tomahawk on your camping or hunting trips.
- Head shape: The type of jobs you intend to perform affects the type of axe head you require. Some users need a blade on both the sides of the axe head that use heavy-duty chopping and some precision cutting as well. While some other users use an axe head that has a sharp edge on one side and a blunt one on the other side which can be used as a hammer. The latter option is much more popular than the former among the majority of users.
- Budget: The budget consideration is the most generic thing to consider whether you buy a tactical tool or an accessory. A general rule of thumb is the more you can spend on your tactical tool, the better will be the quality and performance of the tool. But there are always some affordable options available in the market that offer great set of features.
Tomahawks are the new-age tactical tools that offer exceptional axe like features and also offer the benefit of self-defense. There are loads of reputed manufacturers that offer a high-quality tactical tomahawk, but the fact that most of the options mentioned above are from SOG and CRKT conveys that they are the most favorable ones in the market.
But ultimately, the most suitable tactical tomahawk will depend on your needs and requirements along with your budget constraints. I have tried to cover most of the relevant aspects of a tactical tomahawk which will help you to find the most suitable one from the available options in the market. Just make sure you always check some user reviews before investing in a tactical gear online.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q1. What is the difference between an axe and a tomahawk?
– An axe is a small tool that is used for chopping woods and felling the trees, while a tomahawk is a specialized tool that can be used as an axe and a self-defense weapon as well. Some tomahawks also offer the feature of hammer along with a sharp blade.
Q2. What tomahawk does the military use?
– Military level tomahawks are somewhat different than civilian’s tomahawks. Vietnam tactical tomahawk is the most common tomahawk used by military professionals. This tomahawk uses LaGana’s axe head and a synthetic handle.
Q3. How often should I clean my tactical tomahawk?
– A tactical tomahawk should be cleaned at least once a week if you use it on a daily basis which may differ as per your usage. There is a 3 step process in maintaining the durability of a tomahawk; clean sharpen and maintain.
Q4. How long is a tomahawk handle?
– Different tomahawks offer different lengths of handle. Generally tomahawks are 14 to 21 inches long and the length of the tomahawk affects the weight and portability of a tactical tomahawk. The length of the tomahawk also differs for different types of tomahawks.
Q5. How much does a tactical tomahawk cost?
– Tactical tomahawks can cost from as low as $40 USD to more than a $100 USD depending on the features it offers and the brand value of the manufacturer. Some manufacturers also offer a lifetime warranty of the tomahawks which makes them a value for money deal.