- 0.1 Things to consider while choosing the best rifle scopes
- 1 Best Rifle Scopes 2020 – Detailed Review!
- 1.1 #1. Vortex optics diamondback 4*16×42
- 1.2 #2. Nikon 6729 ProStaff
- 1.3 #3. Vortex Optics Crossfire ii
- 1.4 #4. Trijicon VCOG 1-6*24
- 1.5 #5. Nikon Buckmasters II 3-9×40 BDC
- 1.6 #6. Bushnell Optics Drop Zone
- 1.7 #7. Leupold VX-3i
- 1.8 #8. Vortex Optics Strike Eagle
- 1.9 #9. NightForce SHV
- 1.10 #10. Burris timberline Rifle scope
- 1.11 #11. BSA sweet 17 Rifle scope
- 1.12 #12. Nikon P-300 rifle scope
- 2 CONCLUSION
- 3 Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
- 3.0.1 Q- Does magnification affects the clarity of the target?
- 3.0.2 Q- What is MOA? What does it mean to have ¼ MOA of windage and elevation adjustment?
- 3.0.3 Q- Which reticle is most suitable in best rifle scopes?
- 3.0.4 Q- What is parallax?
- 3.0.5 Q- What is more suitable fixed or variable magnification power?
Rifle scopes an optical device made of refracting lens to make the lives of shooters a litter easier. They are made for shooters, hunters, and law enforcement officers so that they can shoot with better lighting and clarity to get the perfect shot. Rifle scopes are very common for people in military as they have to shoot in varying ranges and weather conditions. Best rifle scopes comes in huge variety be it waterproof, shock-proof, illuminating, etc. Some rifle scopes are even specialized for certain rifles which make them most suitable for those respective rifles.
You may feel that you don’t need a rifle scope for shooting but using it regularly will surely make your rifle a lot easier if you find the best rifle scopes for yourself.
So, let me put some light on some of the best rifle scopes in the market in the following article. Make sure that you read till the end to get some insightful learning about different aspects of a rifle scope and how to choose the best rifle scope.
Things to consider while choosing the best rifle scopes
Quality and Budget
Your budget plays an important role while choosing the best rifle scopes. The price range may start from $30 and go beyond $1000.The quality you get mostly depends on the amount you spend on your rifle scope.
Eye relief is the distance which you must maintain from the scope to get the complete view of the field. It is generally mentioned in inches on rifle scopes. The more power the scope has, the less eye relief it would provide.
The amount of light that transfers through the scope lens determines the level of clarity you get while shooting. Generally more the number of lenses, lesser the light exposure would be. So, while buying your best rifle scopes online, make sure you carefully check the light exposure capability of the scope.
Field of view
The field of view is the wide-area that can be observed by the shooter via the rifle scope lens. A wider field of view results in an easier targeting for the shooter. If you have Powerful rifle then scope will reduced field of view.
The type and specification of a scope suitable for you depend a lot on the purpose for which you use your firearms. You could be using your rifle for hunting, military or any other law enforcement activities.
Reticle of the scope is the crosshairs of the scope. Recticles come in different styles like tactical ones, electronic ones and some may be thick or thin reticles. You need a reticle with which you are comfortable. They shouldn’t be so thick that it blocks your clear view while shooting. Electronic reticles are great at night time as they highlight in the dark but may require frequent charging.
Try to stick to reputed brands as they are more likely to provide a quality rifle scope. Don’t get distracted by some cheap rifle scope brand and waste your valuable time, energy and money. So, always look at all the aspects carefully before buying the best rifle scopes for yourself.
I hope after going through all the aspects of a rifle scope, you would be able to make an informed decision and choose the best rifle scopes for yourself. So, let’s look at some of the best options for rifle scope available in the market.
Best Rifle Scopes 2020 – Detailed Review!
Here are our top 12 recommendations for best rifle scopes. Check to find the one that matches your needs the most
Vortex is one of the most reputed brands in the rifle-scope market. It manufactures a variety of optical accessories like binoculars, rifle optics and other types of optical equipment.
Vortex optics diamondback HP-4-16*42 comes with a magnification of 4*16x and the dot design improves the accuracy and thus eliminating the holdover issues. This rifle-scope can be used with multiple rifles and slug shotgun which makes it a great alternative for hunting and shooting activities.
The Parallax adjustment of this best rifle scopes is spot on. You can easily switch the parallax according to the appropriate yard lanes.
- Magnification: 4-16x
- Max Elevation Adjustment: 80 MOA
- Parallax Setting:- 30 yards to infinity
- Max Windage Adjustment: 80 MOA
- Turret Style: Capped
- Tube Size: 1 inch
- Field of View: 23.8-6.1 feet /100 yards
- Travel per Rotation:15 MOA
- Adjustment Graduation: 1/4 MOA
- Eye Relief: 4 inches
- Objective Lens Diameter: 42 mm
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: Vortex diamondback tactical rifle scope is a great option for shooters and hunters with a clear vision for 100 yards or so. With a very efficient parallax adjustment, this rifle scope proves to be great for shooters who need to practice tactical shooting in variant yard lanes.
Nikon is among the market leaders in the rifle scope market and the Prostaff4-12*40 variant is no exception. It is a flawless blend of high performance, value and quality. With 40mm objective lens, the light transfer and the eye relief of 3.7inches makes this best rifle scope a great alternative shooters and hunters.
The nitrogen purging and waterproofing feature make it a reliable option in humid, rainy or snowy weather and in critical situations in military. The BDC reticle provides unobstructed field of view for regular hunters for efficient and faster targeting.
- Finish: Matte black
- Reticle: BDC
- Field of view: 23.6 feet @ 100 yards (4x), 7.3 feet @ 100 yards (12x)
- Tube diameter: 1 inch
- Actual magnification: 4 to 12x
- Objective diameter: 40mm
- Exit pupil: 10.3mm (4x), 3.3mm (12x)
- Eye relief: 3.7 inches
- Objective OD: 1.98 inches
- Eyepiece OD: 1.73 inches
- Parallax setting: 100 yards
- Length: 14.1 inches
- Adjustment graduation: 1/4 MOA
- Max internal adjustment: 60 MOA
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: This rifle scope comes with adequate eye relief, accurate zeroing and compatibility with multiple best rifle scopes. With all the high end features in Nikon Prostaff rifle scope in an affordable price range make it a favorable option for those with a limited budget but need a high performance rifle scope.
Vortex Optics Crossfire ii is another outstanding best rifle scopes series available in multiple magnification options and three variants in reticle in an affordable budget.
The vortex crossfire II is made of aircraft level aluminum which ensures high quality and durability. This image is exceptionally clear even in low light and higher magnification. This scope with the removable lens cover and lens cloth.
There are three reticle variants available namely:
- V-plex: This is the simpler alternative with offers lesser obstruction in FOV. There are no hash marks for overholds and range estimation.
- Dead-Hold BDC: This alternative is a bit more complex. But with hash marks, this is a great alternative for shooters practicing in various ranges.
- V-brite illuminated: This alternative is for shooters who need to practice in very low lighting. This uses the V-plex format but with battery-powered electronics for improved illumination.
- Magnifications: 1-4*24; 4-16*50;6-24*50
- Reticle: Vplex, Dead-Hold BDC
- 1 inch tube
- 3.9 inches eye relief
- Field of view : 24.7-8.4 ft/100 yds
- Turret Style Capped
- Adjustment Graduation 1/4 MOA
- Travel Per Rotation 15 MOA
- Max Elevation Adjustment 50 MOA
- Max Windage Adjustment 50 MOA
- Parallax Setting 10 yards to infinity
- Length 13.6 inches
- Weight 19.2 oz
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: This vortex crossfire ii rifle scope is most suitable for 300 win mag with all the essential and high end features in budget friendly price. Shooters who practice in humid and rainy regions must go for this best rifle scope as this rifle is waterproof and shockproof.
Trijicon manufactures a wide range of aiming solutions for hunters, target shooters, military and for personal protection. The Trijicon VCOG riflescope is the rifle scope that comes with the huge variety of reticles in red and green illuminator variant. There are a total of 16 reticle variants each in red and green reticle color.
VCOG comes with battery-powered illumination with AA-battery that provides 700+ hours of continuous usage which makes it a travel friendly option as well.
The two reticle styles available in this rifle scope are:
- Segmented Circle Crosshair
- Horseshoe Dot Crosshair
- Magnification :1-6*24
- Objective lens: 24mm
- Focal plane: first
- Adjustments : .25 MOA / .1 MIL
- Adjustment range :35 MOA Per Revolution(90 MOA Total Travel)
- Dimensions: 10.05×2.51×2.73 inches
- Weight: 23.3 oz
- Illumination source: Alkaline AA Battery or LED Powered by Single Lithium
- Battery life: Red (700 hrs), green (1400 hrs)
- Brightness setting: 6
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: This rifle scope comes with so many high end features like waterproofing, shockproofing exceptionally clear and accurate targeting but all that comes at a cost too high. So, those who can spend generously to buy a best rifle scopes should definitely go for this option.
Nikon buckmaster series is another best rifle scopes series by Nikon specially designed for hunters and shooters who practice in low light. This rifle scope is most suitable for .308 rifles at an affordable price.
High quality Nikon objective lens of 40mm width is used. This best rifle scope comes with adequate eye relief and adjustment for range estimation.
Nikon buckmasters rifle scope is waterproof, shockproof and fog-proof which makes it a suitable option in humid weather conditions.
The only drawback the Nikon buckmasters has is the lack of clarity under 30 yards.
- Magnification: 3-9x
- Objective Diameter: 40mm
- Exit Pupil: 4.4- 13.3mm
- Field of View: 11.3- 33.8 feet at 100 yrds
- Tube Diameter – Other: 1 in
- Eye Relief: 3.6inches
- Eyepiece Outside Diameter: 44mm
- Weight: 13.1 oz
- Overall Length: 12.3 in
- Adjustment Graduation – Other: 1/4 in
- Max Internal Adjustment: 80 MOA
- Parallax Setting – Other: 100 yds
- Spot-On Custom Turret
- Matte Finish
- Use: Centerfire Short/Mid/ Long Range
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: This rifle scope is an excellent option in an affordable price range with all the essential features making it a great alternative for shooters and hunters in multiple weather conditions and ranges.
Bushnell is a prominent name in the market of guns and accessories. They manufacture all kinds of optical tools and accessories from telescopes to riflescopes. This rifle scope comes with drop zone 22 BDC reticle, precise zeroing, parallax adjustment and clear imaging even in low lights.
As this bushnell rifle scope is not listed as waterproof, it won’t be a good idea to use these in a bad weather.
This bushnell drop zone scope is not the most comfortable and lightest to use in a daily use but whenever you do use this, you will surely get the shot without any error. Windage and elevation adjustments is also provided in this alternative.
- Objective Lens: 32mm
- Tube Diameter: 1 in.
- Reticle: Drop Zone-22 LR BDC
- Finish: Matte
- Field of View: 50/15@2x / 17/5@7x
- Weight: 19.6 oz
- Length: 11.3 inches
- Adj. Range: +50 inch/100 yards
- Mounting Length: 4.6inches
- Focal Plane: Second
- Eye Relief: 3.7inches
- Click Value: 0.25 / 6(in. @1000yds)
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: Bushnell optics drop zone rifle scope is most suitable for 22LR BDC and for targets that are short enough to get a clear shot. As this rifle scope is not waterproof, it must be avoided by those who practice shooting in a humid or rainy region. But apart from that, this rifle works exceptionally and every shot will be spot-on.
#7. Leupold VX-3i
Leupold is one of the oldest and well-established rifle optics producers in the shooting industry. They provide a large number of best rifle scopes customized according to the different needs of the users.
Leupold VX-3i has exceptional light transfer which delivers a crystal clear image for easy and accurate targeting. Aircraft-grade aluminum is used to make this high-quality rifle scope. Although this riflescope has all the essential features, it lacks features like a sunshade, side parallax adjustments, battery-powered, etc.
- Magnification: 3.5-10x
- 1-inch tube
- Eye relief: 4.5-3.6 inches
- Length: 12.3 inches
- Weight: 14.7oz.
- Field of view: 11-29.8 ft per 100 yards
- Objective lens: 50mm
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: This Leupold rifle scope is the best buy in an affordable price range with all high-end features and the reputable brand name of Leupold. It comes with variable duplex reticle and extraordinarily clear and accurate target for easy and faster shooting practice. It proves to be a suitable rifle scope for multiple scenarios like hunting, competitions, or personal protection.
Another great alternative from Vortex is strike eagle rifle scope which is the best option for competitive shooting options where short ranged magnification is more suitable. This rifle scope comes with 6x magnification suitable for nearer targets. Features like waterproofing, shock-proofing and fog-proofing make these best rifle scopes suitable for different weather conditions.
- Magnification: 1-6*24
- Waterproof, fog-proof and shockproof
- BDC Reticle with 11 illumination setting
- Weight: 6.7 oz.
- Adjustment graduation: 1/2MOA
- Max windage adjustment: 140 MOA
- Max elevation adjustment: 140 MOA
- Parallax adjustment:100 yards
- Travel/rotation: 44 MOA
- Field of view: 116.5-19.2 inches/100 yards
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: This rifle scope is very appropriate for shooters practicing with short ranged targets with low magnification and clear shot even in low lighting and difficult weather condition. This rifle scope is surely a value for money deal with all the essential features. But, one drawback is that the mount is not included in the product as it may be indicative on online description on amazon.
#9. NightForce SHV
Nightforce is an exceptional manufacturer in terms of high quality rifle optics. The glass they use offer crystal clear targeting for accurate and faster shot. Features like waterproof and fog-proof make this rifle scope a great option for those who shoot in humid or rainy climate. The ability of tracking and holding the zero for a long time of these best rifle scopes is always favourable.
Although this rifle scope is nothing but perfect, it comes with a price which might not be realistic for most of the buyers.
- Objective lens: 56mm
- Second focal plane
- Waterproof and fog-proof
- Non-Illuminated MOAR Reticle
- Magnification: 5-20x56mm
- Length : 15.2 inches
- Tactical MOA turrets
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: Those who can spend generously for their rifle scope and need to use it on a daily basis, this nightforce SHV rifle scope is a great option. The biggest advantage of this rifle scope is its exceptionally clear and wide lens which makes accurate shooting a piece of cake.
Burris is another reputed rifle optics manufacturer in the shooting industry. It is considered as one of the best alternative for 17 HMR (Hornady Magnum Rimfire) scopes. Multicoated High quality glass is used to manufacture this Burris rifle scope. It provides sharp image clarity even for long-ranged small targets. It also performs efficiently in low lighting which makes it a great alternative for hunters and competitive shooters even in dawn or dusk environment.
Though this rifle scope comes with great features, some customers feel that the eye relief provided is not optimum.
- Magnification: 4.5-14*32mm
- 1 inch tube
- Dimensions: 11.3*2*2 inches
- Weight : 1.4 pounds
- Ballistic plex
- Matte finish
- Objective: 7 yards to infinity
- Eye relief: 3.7-5 inches
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED:This Burris timberline is suitable for hunters and competitive shooters, when the target is far away and smaller in size. It comes with all the essential features in an affordable price range.Unlimited warranty and the brand name of Burris make this alternative very attractive for many users.
BSA rifle scopes are a household name in the shooting industry. This rifle comes with exceptional clarity and illumination making it a suitable option for hunters and competitive shooters. BSA Sweet 17 rifle scope prevents distortion even at high magnification.
Features like shock-proofing, waterproofing and fog-proofing make this alternative a viable option available in the market.
This rifle scope is a favorable option for hunters and shooter as it helps them to take quick shots at multiple ranges.
- Eye relief: 4 inches
- Dimensions: 18.5 x 4 x 3 inches
- 1/4 minute click adjustments
- Magnification: 3-12X40mm
- Fully multi-coated optics
- 3-12 variable power
- Objective lens: 40mm
- Multi-grain Turrent
- Shock-proof, waterproof and fog-proof
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED:
BSA sweet 17 rifle scope comes with all the essential and high end features in a value for money price range. It helps shooters and hunters to take quick shots with maximum accuracy and velocity at multiple ranges. This rifle scope is most suitable for 17 HMR rifle scope.
Nikon P-300 is another great rifle scope from the house of Nikon. The Nikon manufactures a wide range of high-quality rifle optics. The P-300 rifle scope is suitable for short range as it comes with low magnification but provides exceptional clarity for short ranged targets.
Nikon BDC SuperSub reticle provides ample illumination for low light shooting practice. It is suitable for shooters who need to take quick shots with maximum accuracy and comfort.
- Magnification: 2-7x32mm
- BDC Supersub reticle
- Multicoated lens
- 1-inch tube
- Adjustment Click Value: 1/4 MOA
- Lifetime warranty
- Eye relief: 3.8 inches
- Weight: 16.1 oz.
- Windage and elevation: 80 MOA
- Objective lens: 32mm
- Field of View at 100 Yards: 44.5′ @ 2x, 12.7′ @ 7x
WHY IT IS SUGGESTED: Nikon P-300 comes with high-quality lens which provides ample clarity, accuracy and illumination for hunters and shooters makes this alternative very attractive for many shooters. The budget friendly price is also an added advantage.
With this comprehensive review and guide, you must be well prepared to choose the best rifle scopes for your rifle. There is no such thing as the perfect rifle scope as every scope comes with different set of features and capabilities. So, you need to find the most suitable rifle scope that complements your best rifle and make your life much easier. Best rifle scopes are one the most essential tactical accessory one can get, as the clearer your target gets in challenging situations the better your accuracy will be. While buying your best rifle scopes online, make sure you are checking the reviews from that particular seller so that you get an authentic product with mentioned warranty if any.
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
Q- Does magnification affects the clarity of the target?
– Yes, in the shooting industry less is more which means that lesser the magnification you use, the clearer your target would be in a normal setting. To have a clear target image for long ranges, make sure you are using best rifle scopes.
Q- What is MOA? What does it mean to have ¼ MOA of windage and elevation adjustment?
– MOA is Minute of angle- which means variances of a target at 100 yards. It is used to indicate the adjustment levels available on a scope. ¼ MOA means that for every adjustment, the point of impact will be off by ¼ inches for 100 yards.
Q- Which reticle is most suitable in best rifle scopes?
– Hunters should opt for plain reticles for clear targets with no internal markings. But, shooters who practice tactical and have long-range shooting rifles should go for a standard mil-dot reticle.
Q- What is parallax?
–In simple terms, Parallax is a situation in which an incorrect alignment between your eye and scope takes place. Although parallax can be fixed just by moving your head back and forth, some best rifle scopes also deliver the feature of parallax adjustment which makes them more desirable.
Q- What is more suitable fixed or variable magnification power?
– It depends whether you practice shooting in variable ranges or a fixed range. Variable power will be useful for officers in military as they keep facing challenging situations and they need to adjust the power according to the situation. For shooters in competitions, a fixed power would be suitable.
Find out our other product reviews: