The two point rifle sling is one of the most appreciated and used gun sling around the world and it is also known as carrying strap. This slings connects to the rear and the front which makes it perfect to carry long gun over your shoulder for longer periods.
Two point sling, as the name says, means that the sling is connected to the gun with two different points i.e. one at the front and end of the carbine. Long guns need both hands support as they are heavy to shoot and manipulate properly. This will help you to rest your one hand and do some other task as well. They main purpose of the sling is to stabilize your target for accurate shots.
You also have several ways to carry a gun with two sling:
- American carry : It is muzzle up and slung over back of the shoulder
- European carry: It is also muzzle up but slung over the front of your shoulder
- African carry: It is muzzle down and slung over the back of your shoulder
- Tactical carry: Diagonally across the body
Other than tactical carrying, all of them are quite safe as they point muzzle up/ down. In tactical, you have to be quite careful. It require a bit more effort in controlling the muzzle direction.
They are also used to improve your aim by some simple techniques:
- Loop the sling around your arm and try to stable your rifle with your dominant hand. This method is also called hasty nasty method
- Another method is loop sling. In this method, pull a loop form adjustment side by disconnecting the rear portion of your best quality rifle sling. Now, slide your arm through the loop and pull tightly which help you stabilize your gun which help you to shoot for longer periods and more accuracy.
Positive points in using two point sling:
- Multiple methods of use
- Doubles as a shooting aid
- adjustable sling
- comfortable extended carry
- stabilize your gun
- suitable for long guns for longer duration
- give more range of weapon
- small pockets to carry extra batteries
Good weapon sling is one of the important element for every gear, irrespective of your everyday service. The sling allows your hand to rest and prevent your weapon from bumping into the ground while transition.
For my rifles, I always use a two point sling. Two point sling is very simple weapon sling but well thought constructed. This has built in length adjustment specification with wide foam straps for more comfort and accuracy as per the user. Better weight distribution is also there with lot of accessories. Comfort pad with mesh is there to avoid from scratched around your neck. This allow you to quickly adjust your sling length as per your requirement.
I prefer them to carry in African style, as it is easy to grab and aim your target, it is safer as well. The sling carrying style doesn’t matter much but the user should be quick to unsling when transitioning from dominating side shoulder to the weaker one. When two point sling rifle uses as a shooting aid they really stand out of all. They can be rapidly and effortlessly tied to help you to stabilize your shooting position for more accurate shot.